- What We Do
- About Us
- Get Involved
- Farmland Futures
- Support POST
- Donate to POST
It’s almost summertime and what’s that mean? It’s prime time for exploring the POST-protected open spaces. Before you walk out the door, here are the essentials you’ll want for your next great POST Lands adventure:
1. Water: Many local trailheads don’t have water available, so you’re going to want to fill up before you leave the house. Two litters should be plenty for most hikes.
2. Snacks: Nobody likes a hungry hiker. Make sure you’ve got something to munch on. Foods high in carbohydrates are the way to go. And, if you’re a real pro, you’ll bring some to share with your buddy.
3. Extra clothes: Think layers! The fog can roll in quick in these parts, so be sure you’ve got an extra layer to keep you warm.
4. Map: Most local parks and preserves will provide maps at the trailhead. But if you like to be prepared, you can find many of the maps online and save them to your smartphone.
5. Sunscreen: It’s no secret that the sun provides all kinds of health benefits. But too much exposure isn’t healthy. If you’re planning to be out all day, make sure to protect yourself.
6. Sunglasses: Looking good is not the point of bringing sunglasses, although it doesn’t hurt. Extended exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays can cause eye damage and that’s just not cool. Don’t forget a pair of shades with UV protection.
7. Camera: Smartphone, digital SLR, disposable, whatever you choose – you’re going to want something to help capture your experience. Even just carrying a camera can change your perspective and help you see our open spaces in a new way.
8. The Ultimate POST Lands Adventure Guide: Knowing where to go and what to do is the key to having a great experience in our open spaces. That’s why we are sharing top local adventures in this new guide.
The 11 adventures in our Ultimate POST Lands Adventure Guide are the best of the best and, whatever your interests, it has something for you. So, pack your bag, download the guide here and get out on your next big adventure.
Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST) protects and cares for open space, farms and parkland in and around Silicon Valley. Since its founding in 1977, POST has been responsible for saving more than 75,000 acres as permanently protected land in San Mateo, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties.